Based On: None
Designer / Creator:
Mark Number: Mark 23 (XXIII)
Code Name: Shades
Armor Class: Special Iron Man Suit
Extreme Heat Suit
Silver With Desert Military Designs
Armor Height: User's Height
Vibranium Arc Reactor Mark II
Extreme Heat Resistance
Preceded By: Mark 22
Followed By: Mark 24
- Tony Stark: "You're right, we do need back up."
- Rhodey: "Yeah, a bunch."
- ―Tony and Rhodey talking about the "House Party Protocol" suits, while waiting for them to show up.
The Mark 23 (Mark XXIII), also known by its name as "Shades", is a Extreme Heat Suit, and was one of several new Iron Man Armors created by Tony Stark as part of the Iron Legion. The armor was created sometime after the Battle of New York.
The suit was featured in Iron Man 3, and made its debut when Tony ordered J.A.R.V.I.S. to initiate the "House Party Protocol", in which it was activated along with all the other suits to aid Tony in his battle against Aldrich Killian.
The suit earned its name "Shades", for its ability to withstand extreme temperatures in the heat, because of its multiple-layered and anti-heat armor plating, which was built within the suit by Tony, to prevent the suit from melting and eventually burning Tony inside of it.
The Mark 23 is a dark streamlined suit, that has layered armored plating to protect against intense heat. The streamlined design for this suit was later refined into the Hyper Velocity Suit, Mark 40 "Shotgun".
It has a Desert Military Design on its armor plating, used to camouflage itself in the heat. It is the first and only armor to have this design, making it fairly unique.
- Thrusters: The Mark 23 has Thrusters equipped to its back.
- JARVIS OS: JARVIS is integrated into the armor.
- Donning System: The Mark 23, along with all the other newly built Mark suits, uses a more advanced technology that was based off on the Mark VII's technology, which is able to wrap itself around Tony's body, without the aid of robotic arms or any external mechanics. It can flexibly open itself to allow Tony to enter into the suit and automatically wrap itself around him, anywhere at anytime, much like the Mark 42's technology and the other newly built Mark suits'.
The armor is composed of a Gold-Titanium Alloy.
- Flight: The Mark 23 like all other new generation Iron Man Armors has the ability of flight because of it's propulsion systems.
- Extreme Heat Resistance: The Mark 23 was built to withstand extreme heat in the hottest places in the world. With its Desert Camouflage Design, the armor's heat resistance is strong enough to withstand the heat of a desert, and possibly the molten lava in a Volcano.
- Repulsors: The Mark 23 has the standard based Repulsor technology.
- Unibeam: The Mark 23 has a rectangular shaped Unibeam, that is located in-between the two plates in its chest piece.
Before Iron Man 3Edit
The Iron Legion and CreationEdit
Sometime after the Battle of New York, Tony Stark, who was haunted by his near death experience from the event, suffered from post traumatic stress disorder and became obsessed with security.
Because of this, Stark began working on the Iron Legion, and through its development, created several Iron Man Armors, which were the Mark's 8-22 all with various designs and purposes. After the Mark 22 / Hotrod's initial completion, Stark proceeded to working on his next armor, the all-new Mark 23.
It was presumed that the armor was tested a number of times before it was fully functional and ready for combat.
Completion and StorageEdit
With Shades's completion, Stark proceeded to work on the next armor, the Mark 24 / Tank.
When Tony's Malibu Mansion was raided, and later destroyed, the Mark 23 along with the rest of the Iron Legion were still stored safely within the Hall of Armors Chamber, as it was left undamaged during the attack. The chamber was still intact, completely sealed, and concealed from view.
This was part of Stark's plan, in which the Iron Legion was to be used later after he uncovered the truth behind the Mandarin and A.I.M.
Activation of the "House Party Protocol"Edit
When Tony summons the Iron Legion to aid in the battle against Aldrich Killian and his Extremis Soldiers, the Mark 23 is one of the suits that shows up.
The Mark 23 was activated by J.A.R.V.I.S. along with all the other armors in the basement of Tony Stark's Malibu Mansion, under the order of the House Party Protocol given out by Tony. It then flew out of the Hall of Armors and lead the way as it went towards the Roxxon Oil Rig together with all the other 34 armors.
Arrival with the Iron Legion Edit
When the Iron Legion arrived, it surrounded the area with the other armors and waited for Tony's commands. It can be seen hovering with the other armors in the background, as the Extremis Soldiers stand surprised with the arrival of the Iron Legion. It was hovering next to the Mark 24.
When Tony orders J.A.R.V.I.S. to "Target Extremis heat signatures. Disable with extreme prejudice.", J.A.R.V.I.S. responds by saying "Yes sir!", which echoes out through all of the suits, including the Mark 23.
The armor then starts targeting and attacking the Extremis Soldiers. It fights them off during the ongoing battle with help of the other armors. The armor never makes an appearance fighting the Extremis Soldiers on-screen but it is on the screen when the Mark 38 goes to attack.
The armor was presumed to have fought and killed several extremis soldiers during the fight, as it was one of the last 21 armors left standing and succeeded in eliminating the remaining extremis forces with the help of the other Iron Legion armors. The Mark 23 then resumes to flying around the oil rig in the aftermath of the battle.
"Clean Slate Protocol" Edit
The Mark 23 was then detonated by J.A.R.V.I.S. for fireworks along with the other 20 armors, under the Tony's order of the "Clean Slate Protocol". This was to show Tony's devotion to his girlfriend, Pepper Potts. It was the 7th suit to detonate.
- The Mark 23 was the twenty-third suit built by Tony Stark, and the sixteenth suit as part of the Iron Legion.
- The Mark 23 is the first suit to feature a streamlined armor design, with protective-layer covering. The design was later used and perfected on the more advanced armor, which was the Mark 40.
- This is the first armor to feature a Desert Military design in its appearance. Having a brown and yellow military design on its leg platings, it was based on the same design used by soldiers in the Real World, when they go to locations with extreme heat during their missions. The design was mainly used for camouflage when in an extremely hot environment making people wonder why he did not don this armor during his skirmish with Aldrich Killian.
- The Mark 23 is the third armor to use a customized design in its armor plating. The second being the Mark 22, and the first being the Mark 15.
| Cinematic Armors|
|Iron Man Armors|| MARK'S 1 - 7:|
Mark I • Mark II • Mark III • Mark IV • Mark V • Mark VI • Mark VII
| IRON LEGION:|
Mark VIII • Mark IX • Mark X • Mark XI • Mark XII • Mark XIII • Mark XIV • Mark 15 • Mark 16 • Mark 17 •
Mark 18 • Mark 19 • Mark 20 • Mark 21 • Mark 22 • Mark 23 • Mark 24 • Mark 25 • Mark 26 • Mark 27 • Mark 28 •
Mark 29 • Mark 30 • Mark 31 • Mark 32 • Mark 33 • Mark 34 • Mark 35 • Mark 36 • Mark 37 • Mark 38 • Mark 39 •
Mark 40 • Mark 41 • Mark 42
| MARK'S 43 - 45:|
Mark 43 • Mark 44 • Mark 45
|War Machine Armors||War Machine Armor Mark I • War Machine Armor Mark II • Iron Patriot Armor|
|Other Armors||Iron Monger Armor • Whiplash Armor Mark I • Whiplash Armor Mark II • Iron Legion Armor Drones|